22:142010/2011 ESD scholarship program for young Ukrainian diplomats and civil servants
Estonian School of Diplomacy (ESD) together with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) offers 7 scholarships for young Ukrainian diplomats, civil servants and International Relations/Foreign Policy specialists to study at the ESD on academic year 2010/2011.
The scholarships would cover all expenses related to participation at the ESD nine-months training course International Relations and European Integration in Tallinn (14 September, 2010 – 31 May, 2011).
ESD offers a 60 ECTS training course "International Relations and European Integration” starting in 14th September 2010 and finishing in 31st May, 2011. Successful graduates receive the ESD Diploma together with the Academic Record.
Since September 2005 ESD has composed an international study group consisting of scholarship holders from Georgia, Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. Swedish MFA sponsored 2005-2006 the participation of five Ukrainian students. SIDA has covered seven Ukrainian scholarships annually since 2006.
The training course contains three modules:
- International Relations
- European Studies
The working language of the course is English.
The international study group consists of 26 students
Lecturers of the training course come from Estonia, EU, USA and Russia.
The scholarship covers all expenses related to participation in the training course:
- Tuition fee in full amount
- Accommodation in shared apartment in Tallinn city center (including costs on rent and utilities)
- costs on health insurance during the study period
- fees for obtaining visa/residence permit in Estonia
- study trip to Stockholm
The scholarship provides each student with monthly allowance of 7000 EEK (=447 EUR) to cover the local living costs.
The scholarship does not cover the expenses on travelling to and from Tallinn.
The person applying for the scholarship should:
- hold the Ukrainian citizenship,
- not be more than 35 years old (when applying),
- currently be employed by the Ukrainian foreign, incl. EU-related, or other civil service with international outreach, or be affiliated within International Relations discipline within a public institution (state university, research institute, think tank), and has been employed there for at least one year,
- have very good command of English (speaking, reading, writing and listening skills are required at least on the level of upper intermediate or advanced),
- be highly motivated to learn about diplomacy, international relations, European integration and related disciplines. Priority will be given for the candidates strongly motivated to continue their professional careers within the field of IR/Foreign Policy/Diplomacy,
- be conscientious, hard working, co-operative and ready for multinational team work.
The applicant should present the following:
- filled ESD application form (downloadable from the ESD web site on: http://www.edk.edu.ee/ul/avaldus.rtf )
- CV in English
- copy of (international) passport. The page of personal identification data.
- copies of university transcript in unofficial English translation, i.e.
a) diploma of higher education
b) academic record
- 1 passport-sized photograph
- essay (9,000 – 12,000 characters) written on one of the topics below:
1. 'Political Implications of The Global Economic Crisis'
2. 'Climate Change – Pro and Con'
3. 'Is Authoritarianism Today More Legitimate than Ever Before?'
Application documents can be submitted by using Online Scholarship Application System
or mailed to the following address:
Estonian School of Diplomacy
2 Tonismagi Street
Application must reach ESD by July 31, 2010.
Accepted applicants will be selected and announced by August 6, 2010.
For further information, please contact Deputy Director of the ESD Dr Vahur Made (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +372 6317951, fax +372 6317950).